Region VII Area Agency on Aging administers Michigan’s nursing facility diversion program known as the MI Choice (Medicaid) Home and Community Based Waiver. This long-term, in-home care program provides non-medical in home help and additional services to the elderly and the disabled who meet a nursing facility level of care and strict Medicaid financial requirements. The MI choice (Medicaid) Waiver services may be provided in your own home, the home of the another, an Adult Foster Care Home, or a Home for the Aged.
Covered Waiver Services
- Adult Day Health
- Chore Services
- Counseling Services
- Community Living Supports
- Community Transition Services
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations
- Fiscal Intermediary Services
- Goods and Services
- Home Delivered Meals
- Non-Medical Transportation
- Non-Emergency Medical Transportation
- Nursing Services
- Respite (In-home)
- Respite (Outside of the home)
- (PERS) Personal Emergency Response Systems
- Private Duty Nursing
- Training Services
- Specialized Medical Equipment and Supplies
- Supports Coordination
You may be eligible if you:
- Are 65 or older
- Are 18 years of age or older and have been deemed disabled by the State or Federal Government
- Have income no greater than $2,199 a month, gross.
- Have assets no greater than $2,205 for single person (special rules apply for a married couple)
- Are a nursing home resident or would be physically eligible for nursing home placement and need support to return, or remain in, your own home or community based placement.
- Have difficulty or are unable to perform basic activities of daily living such as personal care, bathing, and housekeeping, and/or need assistance with managing your medications.
The Area Agency on Aging’s Information and Referral Specialist can take your calls and an assessment in the home, hospital, or nursing home can be scheduled with one of our care coordination teams. To reach an Information and Referral Specialist please call 1-800-858-1637.
The MI Choice program is funded in part by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Please click here for a PBS news article about the Mi Choice Medicaid Wavier program.